Jun 12, 2012

Review: Intangible by J.Meyers




Goodreads
ebook, 264 pages
Published January 31st 2012 (first published January 29th 2012) by J Meyers
Source: review copy from author
My rating: 4/5

Goodreads Summary: Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret—she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they’ve helped those in need on the sly. They’ve always thought of their abilities as being a gift.

Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they’ve always cherished begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke’s ability? He’s always right. And he can’t do anything about it.


My review:

Intangible was the unfortunate darling thing that I started reading just before I got super busy so I stretched it over weeks, and not making it past the first half. Then I managed to finish the rest in two sittings and ended up loving it.

The book had me all giddy at the beginning. I felt like it "fitted in all the right places": I instantly warmed up to the characters, loved the pacing and the voice and the story. There's was a point between 30-50% when I felt that the story started to drag. Since the perspective is constantly shifting, there were chapters when some characters basically just sit and think, paint, practice yoga, lay in bed with headaches...Despite that small glitch, I liked everything else about it.

The author got the voice completely right, and that's an absolute must for me when reading YA. My favorite part of the book was the chemistry between Sera and Jonas. Sizzling. Their banter had me laughing out loud. They are great together. I'm not sure it's a romantic relationship....There are hints, but it's hard to tell where the story could go, because there's Marc in that equation.

Sera and Marc didn't have that chemistry for me, but I found Marc interesting on another level. He is a truly tragic character, torn between the prospect of being freed from the torture of the Shadows and his love for Sera and Luke. The final scene shows all of his tragedy and instantly transformed him from a character that I felt to be a bit bland to my favorite character in the book.

Another thing that had me slightly confused was the twins' relation to Fae. It's pretty obvious that she's different and knows stuff. I'd probably have pestered her for answers long time ago. But since Sera and Luke have their own secrets, I guess it was a matter of confidence. There's an elephant in the room, but you don't ask, we don't ask. Better for everyone.

I liked how the author tackles the paranormal. There are several creatures (vampires, faes, gifted humans) and a Realm, and with an ending like that (we're introduced to more interesting characters), it seems to explode with possibilities.

This book is an example of a well-written (and edited!) self-published paranormal YA. There is a bonus short story, Intuition that you can get for free on Amazon. I haven't read it yet, but I suppose it's a nice introduction to what Intangible has to offer.

Find the author online:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...