Jun 21, 2012

Talk on Thursday: Q&A with Lauren Milner-Howells





Hello, lovelies! My guest today is the super nice Lauren Milner-Howells. We're chatting a bit and spotlighting her new book, Permanently Temping. 



Meet Lauren:



Lauren Milner-Howells currently works 
part time for a university as an events 
officer. She spends the rest of her time 
writing. This is her first novel but she has 
now started her second. She lives in 
London with her husband and two 
Siamese cats.

Find Lauren online:






Permanently Temping


by 

Lauren Milner-Howells



Why is it forbidden to borrow someone else’s tea  mug? How is home-baking related to promotion and what is a ‘cake rota’? When Hollie Cooper walks into her first job after graduating, she realizes that the world of work is going to take some getting used to.

After finishing university and splitting up with her cheating exboyfriend James, Hollie hasn’t had much luck with her career, or with men. With her dad pushing her to follow in his footsteps in a law firm and her mum obsessively trying to get her back together with ‘that nice boy James’, Hollie is desperately trying to find her own way in her London-life.

Hollie tries unsuccessfully to avoid her cheating ex and starts dating a rather intense cage-building artist. But is he all that he seems? And why has her flatmate Stacey started acting so strangely? As if things aren’t complicated enough, Hollie bumps into one of her cheating ex-boyfriend’s university friends Gavin, whom she feels immediately drawn to, despite the fact that he’s already taken…

Hollie’s life turns into a side-splittingly funny ride involving work, life, love, good - and not so good - friends and of course plenty of wine.

Who will she end up with? Will she find her own happily ever after? And will she ever find the job that’s right for her?


Check it out on Amazon


Q&A
  • Tell us a little about your book.

Permanently Temping is a laugh-out-loud story of a girl called Hollie struggling to find her way in the world of work whilst dating a cage art enthusiast and trying to stay away from her ex. A chance meeting with a stranger threatens to turn her life upside down. Hollie's life turns into a side-splittingly funny ride involving work, life, love, good - and not so good - friends.

  • Do you have some writing rituals (a special place, coffee, music...)?
I don't have any rituals as such but I do have to start writing first thing in the morning, straight away after having breakfast, a shower and getting dressed. I find I work best at that time of day - later on in the afternoon my brain seems to turn to mush! Oh and I do have to have something sugary like a chocolate biscuit and a cup of tea mid morning time (especially if I am finding it hard to get into writing) as I find this wakes up my brain and makes it come up with lots of new ideas!

  • Who are your favorite authors/books? 
The first 'adult' book I read when I was sixteen years old was Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. She is still a firm favourite of mine and I admire her ability to tell a great and funny story. I also enjoy reading the Detective Roy Grace series by Peter James - they are all so well written and I find I just can't put them down!

  • What are you currently working on? Plans for the future? 
I've just published my debut novel Permanently Temping. It's currently available on Amazon Kindle and Smashwords and hopefully soon will be available on Kobo, Nook and other e-readers. I am currently in the planning and research stages of my next novel, which I am finding really exciting! I can't wait to get to the writing part :)

  • What is the most valuable thing you've learned on your way to publication, or is there an advice you'd like to share with beginner writers? 
I've learnt so much over the last couple of years, I think I could probably write a book on it! However I think one of the most valuable things that I have learnt is self discipline - it sounds silly but I realised that I just had to sit down and get on with it and not put it off until tomorrow, otherwise it would never happen. What worked best for me was to set myself a word count target each day and stick to it - that way, if I got my words done in a few hours I could have the rest of the day free to do other things. I find that to be a great incentive to get on and do it!


Many thanks, Lauren! 
Make sure to check out her book if you like chick-lit and say hi on Twitter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...