Jul 24, 2012

Review: Obsidian by J. L. Armentrout

Goodreads

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Kindle edition, 271 pages
Published: May 8th 2012 by Entangled Publishing
Source: purchased
My rating: 2/5
Goodreads Summary: Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don’t kill him first, that is.

My review:
Oh, I know I'm in a lot of trouble for this review. But before you bite my head off, the fact that I gave it two stars doesn't mean that I hated it (last time I checked, two stars on GR means 'It's ok'.) I hated certain things, not all of it.

Let me tell you first how excited I was about this book. When I first heard that it's about aliens, I screamed with joy. When the first glowing reviews came in, I wanted to cry because I couldn't get it yet. I finally bought the Kindle edition last week and again screamed with joy. But, boy, that was one of the biggest disappointments in my reading history.

Here's my problem: Twilight. Or Obsidian bearing a suspiciously strong resemblance to it. Which explains why people love it. I respect that. I also know that the PR genre doesn't leave much space for anything never-seen-before, and Armentrout is definitely not the only one jumping on the Twilight bandwagon. I see why Obsidian is the best book ever to so many readers. My problem? If I wanted to read Twilight, I would have picked up Twilight, but with Obsidian it felt just as if I did.

With the exception of Katy who totally won me over (more about it later), I found little originality or excitement in Obsidian. The drop-dead gorgeous, rich and anti-social guy, his perky sister who just wants a friend, the single parent/moving story, the truck scene (really?!), the oxygen (breathing out of habit), the creepy "you were there, now you're here", even the "you've probably had a concussion", "you're taking this rather well/ it's adrenaline, I'll have a reaction later", "you're a shiny new toy for the guys" conversations...it was too much for me.

Everyone gave Daemon his own paragraph, so here goes. I didn't like his hot'n'cold game. For the bigger part of the book he was a complete jerk. I found nothing swoon-worthy about it (not even Armentrout's repeated reminding how hot it looks when he stretches and his shirt jumps up to reveal some skin. Or his shirtlesness. No. It didn't convince me the first time you wrote it, especially not the sixth time you mention it.) 
Seriously. Is that how you want to be treated by a guy? I'd punch him in the face the first time he insults me no matter how hot he is. Kudos to Katy for giving him the finger more than once.  


But at least he doesn't sparkle.
Oh,no.
He shines!


Yes, I'm very disappointed with the lack of creativity and originality, with the poor writing, disappointed in Daemon... The only thing that kept my interest is Katy. I liked her from page one. I was laughing so hard at her sarcasm, but I be damned if I know why she always falls for Daemon's teasing (oooh, the peek at his skin when he stretches. Sorry, now I get it.) Katy being a book blogger was really cool. What book is she posting about in her WoW, about a hot guy with a killer touch? My guess is Touch by Jus Accardo (I loved that one).


So, in the end the only feeling left for it is sorrow for wasting a gift card on this book. If you're angry at me for being obnoxious about your favorite book, sorry, it doesn't even get close to how angry I am.


Goodreads
If aliens are your thing, there's a book I can recommend, Cicada by Belle Whittington. It has more mystery, better writing, wonderful characters and the sweetest and hottest nerdy guy out there. And some Muse in it, too :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...