Sep 14, 2012

Review: In Too Deep by Portia Da Costa

In Too Deep
Goodreads
In Too Deep by Portia Da Costa
Paperback, 256 pages
Published August 2nd 2012 by Black Lace Books (Virgin Books imprint-first published November 1st 2008)
Source: received from publisher for review
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Goodreads Summary: It's all in the mind...

Librarian Gwendolynne Price starts finding indecent proposals and sexy stories in her suggestion box every morning. Shocked that they seem to be tailored specifically to her own deepest sexual fantasies, she begins a tantalising relationship with a man she's never met.

At the same time, she's fast getting involved with a man she has met. Superstar historian Professor Daniel Brewster is on sabbatical, researching in the library. The glamorous academic sets women's hearts thudding all over the country, but Gwendolynne is the one he quickly shows an interest in...

Pretty soon however, a relationship of erotic letters and toe-curlingly sensual emails collides with kinky games played in the all too real flesh.

Can Gwendolynne decipher the identity of her mysterious correspondent Nemesis, and will he still be as exciting when unmasked? Can she survive the pain of loving then losing Daniel when his research is over and leaves and moves on?

Or is she tangled in too deep with both men?

Review:

I don't mind some steamy romance every so often, though I don't review a lot of erotica. That's why I was quite surprised when I received this novel from Black Lace for review. I liked the summary, and the cover (call me shallow). That said, the story didn't impress me at all.

The plot was very predictable, and to guess who might be our mysterious letter-writer was no brainer (because he's, ehm, the only guy who appears in the novel). His erotic letters were rather blunt, leaving little to imagination, and honestly, not at all exciting to me. I wish I could say better things for the rest of the novel, and that it gets more exciting when the two finally meet, but I've read regular romance and chick-lit that was hotter than this novel (Rachel Gibson comes to mind). From In Too Deep I expected more. More feeling, more excitement, more erotic tingles. The kink factor remains low, and quite naive and funny.

Gwendolynne Price, the main character who starts receiving erotic letters from a mysterious Nemesis seems to have no friends and no life outside the library and Nemesis' little games. Most of the time she is either thinking abut sex, or having sex. Everything gets pretty repetitive, until the twist. Which was also predictive, and results in predictive happy ending.

To sum up, the novel was rather bleak and uninteresting, though not completely unreadable. I didn't have to force myself to finish it, but at the end, I felt nothing for it. It was just...okay.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...