Jan 8, 2013

YA Review: Into The Dark (#1-4) by Milly Silver

First to clarify that this is not a conventional series because the four parts are not separate novels in a series, but four parts of one book, each between 50-70 pages long, and I'll try to review all parts separately. Also pay notice to the promise of a Twilight romance-let me get to that part a bit later.

Into The Dark (#1-4) by Milly Silver
Goodreads Summary: Love the fast-paced action in The Hunger Games Trilogy?Want to relive the romance of The Twilight Saga?This new Young Adult series is for you!
"The only three people in the world who I truly loved were my best friend, Ben, my Uncle Spencer and his fiancee, Irene. I am now grateful for what I didn't know on that sunny afternoon. One of them would soon be lost to me. The other two, I was destined to kill without hesitation or remorse.
It wasn't premeditated.
It was what needed to be done.
So I did it."
Success means love. Failure a death sentence.
When seventeen-year-old Oxford student Emily Baxter steps forward to become part of the search and rescue team for her kidnapped family member, she sees it as her last chance to put things right. Despite her seizures and being ripped between parallel universes, Emily is determined to get back to living a normal life. But first Emily has to join forces with the mysterious Gifted & Talented set and the darkly beautiful Henry Seadon. And survive. Killing the Misery-Makers who get in their way is a necessary evil.
INTO THE DARK SERIES #1-4 by Milly Silver is a YA fantasy romance series. It's a story of family, love, loss, and being uniquely gifted. 

Goodreads Amazon

Part #1 introduces us to Emily and her mysterious seizures that take her into another world, one that exists on a subconscious level and where she constantly has to run from dark and dangerous creatures  called Misery Makers. One day an innocent person is drawn into that dangerous world and stays trapped. I liked it a lot that the action takes places on a deeper level of consciousness, and how the author connects other elements of the story to that aspect (such as the setting or other characters). I found this part to be a nice introduction, but very close to the end there is one sentence that made me sit up and say "wow" aloud. Definitely a fantastic hook for part two, and I had to start reading it immediately.


Part #2 is where the complications start. The mysterious, gorgeous and rich Henry Seadon and his 
G&T group definitely resemble the Cullen family-standing out of the crowd, rich and handsome. The romance between Henry and Emily is pretty much a case of insta-love, and I gotta say, this was my least favorite part of the novel. Emily needs Henry and his group for other reasons, though, and I felt compelled to read on. Off to part 3.



Part #3 is the most romantic. As I said, the relationship develops too quickly for my taste, and takes up most of this part #3. On a happier note, it also explains into depths the role and the abilities of the G&T group. I, ehm, sort of, kinda, fell for Seb, one of Henry's closest friends. I mean, please, the guy has a superpower-he's The Translator. (I hope to God Darling is not reading this. Speaking of, he's a translator as well. So am I.)
By the end of this part, the tension builds up, stakes get higher, and there's more action than in Part #2.


Part #4 is definitely my favorite part.We spend a lot of time on the subconscious level. There's lots of 
action, a shocking decision, darker atmosphere. I liked Emily as a character from the beginning, and in this final part she shows just what she's capable of and how strong she is from the inside

As for the Twilight-ishness from the synopsis...Like I mentioned before, I am not a big fan of such quick romances where the characters cant think of anything else but him/her, and all within days after they've met. There is another YA series that I thought of while reading Into The Dark. Weston from The Pace series by Shelena Shorts shares some character traits with both Edward and Henry. They are all gorgeous, rich, mysterious, and there's danger in falling in love with them. But unlike Edward who simply is, Weston and Henry actually do something useful to society with their money and abilities/talents. 

In a nutshell, I liked Into The Dark. I couldn't stop reading and I was glued to my ereader until I read the last sentence. The author knows how to build up tension and keep the reader eager for more.

FINAL VERDICT

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...