Jun 6, 2012

Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

Goodreads


Kindle Edition, 272 pages
Expected publication: June 26th 2012 by EgmontUSA
Source: NetGalley
My rating: 3/5



Goodreads Summary: This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.
Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?
As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?

The latest novel from the author of The Tension of Opposites, One Moment is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.




My Review:

I was in the mood for some contemporary YA and having seen One Moment around the blogosphere I requested it from NetGalley. One Moment is what you expect it to be-a sad story of teenage love and premature loss, but I'm not sure it worked that well for me as did, for example, Before I Fall or If I Stay (both of which deal with similar issues and which I adored).

The thing that moved me most didn't have anything to do with Maggie or even Joey's death. Maggie was not one to easy relate to. She tells about her pain and sadness, but I didn't feel it. Joey...well, it's someone you'd hate at the end of the book, and not particularly like even when you don't know what happened. (Hm. Yes, that sounds vague, but I don't want to spoil anything). What really got to me was Adam. The emotions were running high whenever he was in the scene. Desperately trying to be there for Maggie, but torn inside and harboring a secret that could shatter Maggie's world. Whenever he cried, I was at the verge of tears too.

One of the main complaints I've read about this book was that it's predictable. It sure is. You can guess early on in the book what the big secret is. Frankly, I was surprised that Maggie didn't see it. But my conclusion, after I finished the book, was that maybe that wasn't the author's intention. Maybe it wasn't about big shockers, but rather about coping with things like...that (avoiding spoilers here). Do you hold on to the memory of someone you knew and loved and chose to ignore the bad? Can you ever really get to know someone completely? Are there things that, though they are plain in front of your nose, you'd rather not see?

One Moment wasn't a life-changing read, and for the most part it didn't really touch me, but it has some strong points, nice writing and some heartbreak. For me, it's somewhere in the middle; I wasn't crazy about it, but I'm glad to have read it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...