Oct 1, 2012

Review: Bridger by Megan Curd


Bridger
by Megan Curd
Published June 4th 2011 by Soul Fire Press
Kindle Edition: 258 pages
Source: Kindle Freebie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Goodreads | Amazon | B&N

Goodreads Summary: Ashlyn McVean doesn't believe in fairy tales. That is, until Ashlyn is thrown into the crosshairs of grudges her grandmother created long ago. After finding out she is one of two people able to cross between faerie realms, Ashlyn is faced with trying to understand her abilities, along with navigating a new relationship with her boyfriend, Liam. As if being on a centuries old hit list and dealing with crazed pixies isn't enough, her new abilities mean trouble for Liam. Knowing her new life puts everyone she loves in danger, Ashlyn must decide what's most important in her life between friends, family, love, and ultimately, realms.



My review:
Bridger opens with a bang, a terrible accident that sends the snowball down the hill. One of the great things about this book is that the action never stops. It kept me on the edge of my seat, reading into wee hours of the night just to find out what happens next. Megan Curd makes sure there's never a dull moment and just keeps throwing surprises at you.

I liked the characters, even though for some I felt that they could use some character development. One part of the book takes place in Ireland and features a very nice Irish boy called Liam (you CANNOT go wrong with a hot Irish Liam). But warning, it comes as insta-love, and has more drama than I would have expected from Liam.

I liked the Irish atmosphere, the lore and stories. I admit that I was confused with the different...what do you call them, races? Species? Throw in Meemaw's secret affiliation, I got lost. But never mind, it makes for a very kick ass Ashlyn. Megan Curd did a great job with Ashlyn and her dealing with the many revelations and emotions.

There was something lacking in the writing, at places very much telling instead of showing. There were also some really odd and tongue-twisting sentence constructions (like double negatives gone wrong).

Nevertheless, despite these few tidbits that could have been avoided, I really liked Bridger. If you like faes and changelings stories bursting with action, make sure to pick up this book. Wild ride guaranteed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...