Nov 22, 2009

TSS My fictious life


I'm so glad this week is over. The last two weeks have been a nightmare. Life got too difficult to deal with and what did I do? I ran away and hid in books and writing. While this is great news for this blog, it's not all that good for my real life. Those things I couldn't ignore crushed me to pieces. I felt miserable. The last thing I felt like was writing reviews. If they had been written in this state of apathy, I would have hated everything and everyone. But...it's over, everything is not fine, but endurable and life goes on.

This week I posted two reviews for my Global Classic Challenge, The Age of Innocence and Wuthering Heights. I don't know what I'll be reading next for this challenge, have to check the libraries. Speaking of which...last week I went to renew my membership in the town library in Osijek, and they had the Open Door days. I got an annual membership for free. Another good news is that they expanded the Foreign Languages department. There are tons of new(er) books in English and German. Hallelujah, God has heard my prayers.

I'll be reading Cleopatra's Daughter this week, since I forgot it in Osijek and didn't read a single page since Wednesday. The first two chapters I read were great and I can't wait to get back to it.
Since I keep traveling to and fro and the two-and-half hour bus drive is terribly boring, I always have a book with me. I try to pick books that are easy to read and not so voluminous so I can read them in two rides. This week's 'bus-book' was John Grisham's Bleachers. It was my first Grisham and I liked it, though I have no clue about football(in Europe it's all about soccer). It's about the influence of one man, the football coach, on the lives of his high-school players. It was quite nostalgic and made me think about those people who influenced my life, people whose approval you seek even long after they are gone. The review will be posted next week, probably Thursday.

I'm finally writing something more than random scribblings in my notebooks. That is, I still write in notebooks, but more often and in larger quantities. I miss the days when I could sit at my computer for hours, just typing and typing. Now I can't afford that luxury, only small treats.


I found a great blogger yesterday, or better to say, she found me. StephanieD blogs at the Misfit Salon. She says in her blog descriptions she would "invite artists, writers, poets, musicians, intellectuals, all manner of interesting people with provocative thoughts. And we would sit by a fire if it was cold outside or out in a terraced garden overlooking a lake if it was warm. We would dine on rich feasts, have chocolate cakes with good, strong coffee, maybe sip absinthe, all the while discussing the wondrous, troubling, moving, or beautiful things we had read or seen, heard or thought of....".
Now, if that's not a great invitation to visit her...I think I'd pass the absinthe, but I'd like to be there. Please, make sure to check out this great blog. I started to read one post and stayed there much longer than just one. She is also running a cool contest for an autographed first edition of The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlet. Click here to enter. Ends 11/30.

What did you read this week? What are you looking forward to in the next seven days?
Happy Sunday!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...