Aug 15, 2011

Review: The Pace

Source: Goodreads
by
Shelena Shorts
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 312 pages
  • Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC (August 19, 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0982500505
  • ISBN-13: 978-0982500507
  • Source: Signed copy from the author
  • My rating: 4/5
  • Summary: Weston Wilson is not immortal and he is of this world. But, aging is not part of his existence, and eighteen-year-old Sophie Slone is determined to find out why. In doing so, she could also uncover something about her own life expectancy that she may not want to know. 
Suddenly, immortality will mean everything and nothing all at the same time.
Intensely fascinating and rich with determination, The Pace brings together romance, mystery, and suspense in a compelling bond that is sure to have readers asking for more.


I've had The Pace on my radar ever since I first saw it. It was exactly what I expected it to be, and of course I liked it. A lot. It's not an easy task to review this novel without giving away spoilers, and without references to the other books in the series, which I'm currently reading, but let's focus on the first one, shall we?

The things I liked most about The Pace is the feeling it gave me. I fell in love with the characters (especially Wes-he had me at hello) immediately. The romance that develops is not rushed, both Sophie and Wes take their time to think things over. You feel the attraction growing one step at the time, and few chapters into it, I was swooning along with Sophie. Although there are quite a few similarities to Twilight, bland and boring characters is not one of them. Characters in The Pace are well-developed, charming and likeable. Sophie is a responsible, sensible girl who demands answers instead of falling unconditionally for Wes knowing that there are secrets that could be potentially lethal for her. I loved the writing and the pacing. Considering it was Shelena's debut, it was all very well done.

The idea is an original one. Forget about sparkly vampires as the epitome of sexy immortals. Wes' immortality is a result of science. Shelena has given this novel a note of paranormal in a way that won't have you rolling your eyes thinking "Give me a break here." 

The first book in the series may not knock you out of your socks with the amount of action; rather, it will introduce you to the story, set up the stage for the sequels, make you fall in love with the characters and leave you craving for more. I recommend you have The Broken Lake within reach before you finish The Pace because the cliffhanger would have killed me if I had to wait.

Speaking of.
My camera refuses to cooperate so I can't show you, but Shelena has sent me all three books, signed (with lots of hearts), a signed The Pace bookmark (with more hearts) and the most beautiful (Iron Quill themed) bookmark I've ever seen, a silver feather on a green beaded chain. I thanked her for probably a million times, but here's it once more: THANK YOU, SHELENA!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...