Jul 13, 2010

REVIEW The Pack

by
L M Preston

  • Paperback: 316 pages
  • Publisher: Phenomenal One Press (August 1, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0984198970
  • ISBN-13: 978-0984198979
  • Source: review request by the author
  • My rating: 3.5/5


Summary (Goodreads): Shamira is considered an outcast by most, but little do they know that Shamira is on a mission. Kids on Mars are disappearing, but Shamira decides to use the criminals most unlikely weapons against them, the very kids of which they have captured. In order to succeed, she is forced to trust another, something she is afraid to do. However, Valens her connection to the underworld of her enemy, proves to be a useful ally. Time is slipping, and so is her control on the power that resides within her. Yet, in order to save her brother's life she is willing to risk it all.  

I believe everyone who's ever read any of my reviews already knows that I'm a sucker for strong female protagonists, especially in YA literature. Think Katsa from Graceling, Sylvie from The Splendor Falls, Janie from Wake... well, Shamira Nobel is one of those girls.
The Pack is about a group of kids on Mars who, once a major drug dealer starts to kidnap and kill off their family members, need to find a way to stay alive and help those they can. I've read it during one lazy afternoon, as I found myself hooked to the adrenaline pouring out of its pages. I've read something slow, atmospheric just before The Pack, and the change in pace was refreshing.

The greatest part of the novel is Shamira, a girl who went blind at an early age and had to learn to depend on other senses than her eyesight. Shamira accepts her blindness as a part of who she is and doesn't consider herself handicapped. She is a caring girl, protective of her little brother, yet fierce and dangerous in the battle. The romance between her and Valens develops slowly, largely due to the fact that Shamira believes that the last thing in the world she needs is a broken heart. It's cute to watch how bad Valens is trying to prove his loyalty and his love, and, of course, eventually wins her heart.

There were parts that really made me laugh hard, others were just engrossing. Part of why I lowered my rating is the large amount of violence. I'm not being squeamish here, I just think that the same effect could have been achieved with much less broken noses. The very fact that there are children being abused is depressing enough.

The Pack is a fast- paced, action-packed novel that I'm sure Sci-Fi YA buffs will dote on. It's an easy, fast read, a perfect summer pastime.
 
 ~*~Make sure to check back tomorrow. LM Preston will be here for a Q&A and a cool giveaway! ~*~





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...