Apr 29, 2012

Review: Elemental by Emily White

Goodreads
ARC
Published: May 1 by Spencer Hill Press
Source: publisher
My rating: 3.5/5
Author: 
Goodreads Summary: Just because Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn't mean she should.
But she wants to.
For ten years—ever since she was a small child—Ella has been held prisoner on an interstellar starship. Now that she has escaped, she needs answers.
Who is she? Why was she taken? And who is the boy with the beautiful green eyes who haunts her memories?
Is Ella the prophesied Destructor… or will she be the one who's destroyed?

Review:  

This will have to be a three-part review because at different stages I had different feelings about Elemental. The beginning was very fast-paced, promising a lot of action and opening many questions: Where is Ella? Why was she imprisoned? Who is she? The first thing I noticed was that the author can write pain and desolation. Descriptions of Ella's injuries and her pain were so accurate that I almost felt physical pain just reading about it. Her escape set the stage for what I believed would be a thrilling ride to the last page.

Much as I took to liking Ella in the beginning, I didn't feel the "click" with her. She is confused, skeptical and quite weak. She has every reason to be in that state, but I couldn't sympathize with her. There was something off. Maybe the voice, maybe her swings between "I can't trust anyone" and "I want someone to love me". So that middle part left me confused. On the other hand, some of the most hilarious stuff happens here (like, the cat. Oh my God, that cat's name. I was laughing my head of.)


And then, the big bang. I mentioned before that Emily can write pain, but she can also write betrayal, rage and destruction. That last part pretty much redeemed the weak middle. Emily pushed Ella to her max and it wasn't pretty for anyone who was standing too close (anywhere on the planet, to be precise). That last part is what I've been waiting for and what makes me want more.


Emily White combines some of my favorite supernatural creatures in this space opera. I've read a lot of stories involving elementals, but the majority of them also included witchcraft. Here, something familiar was put in a completely different context and given a new twist. 


Emily has agreed to answer some of my questions for an interview, which should be up tomorrow, on release date. 


Many thanks to Spencer Hill Press for sending me the ARC for review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...