Mar 6, 2013

YA Review: Winter Omens by Trisha Leigh


Winter Omens (The Last Year, #2)Winter Omens (The Last Year #2) by Trisha Leigh
Published September 25th 2012 by Createspace
Source: purchased
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Goodreads summary: Althea and Lucas barely escaped the Others’ clutches in the autumn, and were separated in the process. Alone and on the run from the cruel alien race determined to exterminate her, Althea struggles to adapt and survive in a world she never imagined. 
When a boy named Pax appears out of nowhere, he quickly recognizes Althea for what she is – a human/Other hybrid just like him. Althea begs him to help her find Lucas, but Pax refuses, intent on following his own mysterious agenda.
The Others’ presence continues to devour the planet’s resources, and if history is an indication, they won’t leave until Earth is destroyed beyond repair. Althea and Pax sense the only way to save themselves – and maybe their home – is to understand the powers simmering inside them.
Together they push the limits of their capabilities in the quiet Wilds, but are soon confronted with a terrifying fact: no place is safe from the relentless pursuit of the Others.
Least of all their own minds.


This review will be rather short because I don't want to spoil anything from the first book, but also because I don't want to repeat myself. I love this series, period.

I admit that this installment didn't grab me like Whispers in Autumn did. The first half is quite slow; Althea is laying low trying to come up with a plan to find Lucas. Winter Omens has an Ashes feel to it; survive in the wild and walk indefinitely hoping to find what you're looking for while avoiding the Others. I was apprehensive about a possible love triangle, but I loved meeting Pax. He is quite different from Lucas, someone whom Althea might need just as much as Lucas. Althea and Pax are faced with tough moral choices concerning their role in the world. I love it how Trisha Leigh's love for animals shines through in both books. The scenes including the skunk and deer in Whispers In Autumn, and Wolf in Winter Omens warmed my heart.

I mentioned that this one was rather slow for me, but holy smokes, when the action starts...there's one moment that I'm eagerly looking forward to, and that is when Althea, Lucas, Pax and Deshi will stand together. (Imagine me flailing my arms and hyperventilating.)

I enjoyed both the first and second book in the series and there's no doubt whether or not I'll buy and read the rest. It's an exciting series with a fresh concept, well-thought out and well-written. Bring on Betrayals in Spring!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...