Sep 14, 2011

Review: The Broken Lake (The Pace #2)

by
Shelena Shorts
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 304 pages
  • Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC (August 19, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0982500513
  • Source: signed copy from the author
  • My rating: 4.5/5
  • Summary (Goodreads): In the aftermath of Sophie's ordeal, Weston will make some uncharacteristic decisions to distance himself from the past in an attempt to change the future. But, while venturing into the improbable, the present sneaks up in a chilling way that will lead to Wes' unexpected submission. Suddenly, Sophie will find herself watching as both his immortal secret and his own existence are threatened.
Continuously intriguing, The Broken Lake takes readers to a place where eternal bonds confront a division that is sure to leave everyone wondering whom they can trust.

It's been quite a while since I posted a review due to exams that took up more time than I thought possible. If I may brag, I aced them. Finally, tonight I caught some time to breathe and blog. 

I started The Broken Lake the moment I finished The Pace. I fell in love with the characters in The Pace (most notably, Wes, the hottest guy I met in YA), the everything-but-cliché twist on the paranormal aspect, and the atmosphere of the novel (read my review of The Pace here).

The Broken Lake was much more than I expected it to be. Things get more serious; lives are at stake, Sophie and Wes can't be sure that there's anyone whom they can trust completely. The plot complication has provided the grounds for further character development, as dreaded reality kicks in and the characters-especially Sophie-see the other side of the medal. New characters are introduced, old ones grow, and so does the world which they have to hide from.

Somewhere in the middle of the novel, the meaning of the title became clear and I like it even more now. It's a bit of a heartbreak, just as is the last scene of the novel. More than anything about this series, I love the feeling of it-the tenderness and love that envelops you from the first page to the last line, and seeing something broken...oh, now I'm all teary again.

Immortality comes with a high price. Just how high-I'm yet to see in The Iron Quill. 
Which I'm picking up right now. It's good to be back on track.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...