May 3, 2013

Interview with Mindy Hayes, author of Kaleidoscope

Today we're adding one more name to the awesome list of authors who sacrificed some of their writing time to answer a few questions. Say hi to my guest, Mindy Hayes!


I grew up in San Diego, California exploring my interest for singing and playing the piano.  I first discovered my passion for reading when I had to make my first flight alone to South Carolina to visit my, then, fiancé.  My love for writing followed shortly after.  My husband and I have now been married for five and half years and live in Summerville, South Carolina. 





What or who inspired you to begin writing in first place?
It’s so cliché that I don’t even want to say it, but it was Twilight. I was never even much of a reader before I read Twilight. It sparked something inside of me. I pulled out my laptop nearly five years ago and haven’t gone a day without writing since.



Who are your favorite writers/books?
My favorite book of all time is On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I love that book so much it makes me speechless. I’m always at a loss for words when I try to tell people why I love that book so much. That being said…I will read anything written by Melina Marchetta, Gayle Forman, Colleen Hoover, John Green, Cassandra Clare, Tammara Webber, Paullina Simons, and Tarryn Fisher. I’ve loved every book every one of them has written.



What are you currently working on?
I have two books that are in the works right now. The first being Ember, the sequel to Kaleidoscope. It’ll be released this fall. The second is a contemporary NA that is currently untitled, but will shortly follow the release of Ember. It actually keeps taking up Ember writing time because the story just won’t go away.



If you could live in one book world, which one would it be?
Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments or Infernal Devices. Jace and Will have secured the top two spots on my book boyfriend list. I’d go anywhere for them. Just don’t tell my husband.



Is there a theme song for Kaleidoscope?
I chuckled when I read this question because oh my gosh YES! Grandfather Said by The Ethnographers. This song actually inspired me to write Kaleidoscope. It was pretty much on repeat the entire time I wrote it.



“Was I still a human? Gosh, I still wanted to be human. Even just to keep a sliver of whom I thought I was. But as I thought about being human, standing in the shade of the forest, I felt less human than ever. The trees fought for my allegiance." 
It starts in her chest. The change Calliope doesn't see coming. It pulses like a second heartbeat, urging her to give in to the need to be in the depths of the forest. She's compelled to fight the pull, but the more she denies it the stronger it becomes until she finally surrenders and is pulled into a secret world of enchantment. Kai and Declan need her to accept what she is, but with everything left unsaid, acceptance may be the least of their worries. Knowing their fate lies in her hands, they’ll stop at nothing to protect and prepare her for what lies ahead.Will Calliope be able to accept what Kai and Declan reveal or will her desire to be normal keep her from acknowledging her true destiny?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...