Dec 6, 2009

TSS I'm dreaming of...

...a white Christmas, of course, and a lot of good books under my tree! Christmas is just around the corner, and I finished my shopping just in time to avoid the frenzy. As always, I'm buying books for my family. It was easy this year since they finally spoke up and expressed their wishes so I didn't have to guess and hope they'd like it. As for my friends...I'm so excited about this! Starting with next weekend, they will be arriving one by one. The six of us best friends study in four different towns. On the 19th, a legendary rock-band from our hometown is having a concert back home. I'm buying tickets for my friends, and I can't wait for us to get together for the god old times. We'll be playing numerous parties of pool and sip beer since we're not so much into clubs and catch up for everything we missed since July.

Today is St. Nicholas day, a prelude to Christmas for kids. There are several legends about this saint. According to one of them, a bishop in the 14th century has helped three poor girls who couldn't get married because they didn't have a dowry, so he left money in their shoes while they were sleeping. Hence the tradition that children polish their shoes and put them in the windows. If they were good, the get presents. He is also the protector of seamen and children. I didn't put my shoes in the window, but St. Nicholas still thought of me. I love you, mom, for telling him which shirt I was wishing for! This was the first year my Little Hobbit could enjoy this. He got himself a whole new set of tractors and other farming tools, and of course, lots of Ben 10 figures...

It's that time of the year when everyone is signing up for new contests and recapitulating old ones. I still have one or two books to finish for the Fall Into Reading challenge, and The Global Classic challenge runs until June, so there's plenty of time to read the remaining four books. There are so many great challenges around the blogosphere, but I'll have to keep it simple. I have lots of books that just need to be read if I plan to major in English Literature (the list, for now, has some 200 books). I found the Richard Yates Reading Challenge at Sasha's blog. Since three out of ten required books are on the list, it's not much of a sacrifice.My official post is coming on Tuesday.

This was a very bad reading week for me. I read some Poe and started Revolutionary Road. I have so much to do for college and can't steal any more time than I already do. I did the review for Cleopatra's Daughter. I loved the book so much. Right now, there are seven books on my night stand;three for my bachelor's dissertation (Herta Mueller, who won the Nobel for literature this year) and few other for literature classes. In fact, I'm writing this instead of studying for a Word Formation revision test.
I'm preparing some author interviews in the next few weeks so stay tuned!

Now I'm really off to do some serious work. I wish everyone a nice Sunday (mine has only few hours left) and an interesting week!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...